Thanksgiving has come and gone. My waistband is slightly distended, but should be recovered by Tuesday. Ron and I spent Thanksgiving day with Brian, Rick, Richie, Rich, and Jamal. Don't cry "Richard" in a crowded living room.
We had a very enjoyable time spending a day with friends. Ron fixed his fabulous root vegetables. He also threw together a tasty cranberry relish. I put on my best Julia Child persona and sliced lots of potatoes for her Gratin Dauphinois (scalloped potatoes). They were a hit. Talk turned technical as we geeked out over our smartphones and tablets.
Yesterday, Ron and I hosted our usual post-Thanksgiving potluck. We had a dozen (or more) friends over. The food was great, and it helps some of our friends decompress from the family experience. Our friends know how to celebrate a Thanksgiving potluck. The food was delicious: mashed sweet potatoes, leftover scalloped potatoes, kale salad, a nice green salad, roasted turkey, roasted chicken, roasted root vegetables, Rotel tomatoes and cream cheese dip with chips (habit-forming), apple pie, and pumpkin pie.
Ron had a sore toe on Thanksgiving, which turned into an infected toe the day after. I dispatched him early on to the Urgent Care Center in Kensington. It was a long wait for him. The doctor drained the infection, then removed the toenail. He has in quite a bit of pain, but managing it with ibuprofen. While he was at the doctor's, I got the house ready. It went pretty fast.
Ron is well on the mend today. His pinkie is still very sensitive, but not real painful. He managed to soak off the bandage without actually looking at the toe. It makes him a little squeamish. I took a picture of it, and it does look a little brutal. I'm glad he's feeling better, and I hope the toe heals without complication.
Thanksgiving is definitely my holiday. I love the food, and I love the people with whom I eat the food. Ron, Tim, Jerry, Lloyd and Larry, the Three Husbands, Ed, Rick and Richie, Brian, Tommy, a crowd, my friends, a family on the fly at this moment is my Day after Thanksgiving Potluck. And today, Perry and I went out for coffee, so the family is complete this weekend.
This afternoon, I spent a pleasant few hours with Tim. At 68, he's still a rapscallion. I hope I'm up to that, too. He briefed me on Thanksgiving with his Dad, and brought me up to date on family. I'm just as engaged with Tim now as I was when I met him 12 years ago, something to be thankful for this weekend.
I just put some pumpkin custard in the oven. I think it will taste okay, but I'm just apprehensive enough to wonder. I wanted to use up the pumpkin and the evaporated milk before Ron and I leave town on Monday. In spite of all of the caffeine I've ingested today, I should sleep well tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment