Thursday, March 1, 2012

Driver's License

Several days ago I sent an email to a friend who had responded to a post of mine on the Facebook page for Mormon Stories, DC Region (Stake Conference). I kind of ranted in my email. Yesterday, he sent me the nicest, most gracious email. I really felt his kindness, and I'm grateful for that kind of love that I've found in the Mormon Stories Podcast communities. His response gives me hope about my own spiritual journey inside the (very large) realm of Mormonism.

I try to get up around 6:30 a.m. or so. I like to have a couple of hours that are completely mine. I just could not get out of bed this morning, and finally rolled out around 8 a.m. Ron and I had talked about an excursion to the Silver Diner, because that's where the elite meet to eat in Rockville. I love the food there, but I feel constrained by my diet (and a good thing, because I can pack away a lot of fat, carbs, and protein). Ron had a beautiful looking asparagus/veggie omelet. I settled for poached eggs, whole-grain toast, orange juice, and roasted potatoes, which were mainly for Ron. I brought most of the toast home for use as bread crumbs. Oh, and I had bacon. Surprisingly, bacon isn't a totally lost cause for Weight Watcher® points. And I love bacon every now and then.

Then, today turned into an errand day of sorts. Our salad spinner of about 30 years has been in critical condition for months. We purchased a new spinner today. I hope that it has the same life expectancy as the last one. (Little purchases like this excite me!) After Bed Bath and Beyond, we headed off to Giant Foods for fruits and veggies, then on to CVS for OTCs and hair product. We had quite a successful morning.

Oh, by the way, I get easily irritated about stupid behavior. At CVS, I went to take my blood pressure. Another person had taken her coat and assorted shopping bags and parked them in the chair next to the blood pressure machine. She was sitting on the blood pressure machine's bench talking on her cell phone. There were three other empty chairs in the pharmacy area where she could have carried on her conversation. Stupid.

This afternoon, I finally got around to renewing my drivers license. The Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) sent me the notice months ago, but I waited until the last minute. Part of it, is that the notice required me to bring in proof of Social Security status. I lost my card years ago, but had seen it pop up then disappear again. I did several major searches to no avail. So today, I went back to my tax file, opened it, and laying right on top was my Social Security card. This is why I believe in miracles (not).

Of course, when I went to the MVA, the examiner never once asked me for the Social Security card. I went to the Express office in the Glenmont Shopping Center. On a Thursday afternoon, it is very quiet, and service is immediate. I got my license in less than fifteen minutes. I have a nice picture that doesn't cripple me emotionally, and I am an inch shorter and five pound lighter than when I last received a license. I'm shrinking.

Okay, other curious things happen around here, too. I made some chicken soup for supper tonight (mmmm). As I was getting ready to serve the soup, I felt very faint, and thought I was going to faint. I managed to remain standing, but since that happened about an hour ago, I've felt unsettled and a little unnerved. I feel slightly dizzy. I've had lightheadedness and fainting before, but the sensation always passes very quickly. This time is different. I took my blood pressure, which is normal. I hope this doesn't persist, because it's quite unpleasant.

Yes, the chicken soup was delicious. I had some stock from the weekend's braised chicken. I browned some onions, added a chopped stalk of celery and some garlic. I heated up several cups of stock, some chopped chicken, added the onion mixture, and a serving of the sesame noodles that Ron made a couple of days ago. I adjusted the taste with some fish sauce and rice vinegar, and added a squirt of Sriracha sauce, and a half cup of frozen peas. I simmered it all for about 5 minutes, then served it with some pieces of thinly sliced onion, and a couple of slices of jalapeno pepper. Now that's high livin' on leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment