One of the remarkable discoveries of getting older is that you slowly lose competencies that you thought were an integral part of yourself. Of course, you can still learn new skills, but the focus is necessarily greater at 61 than it was at 31 or 21 or 12. Part of it is that I am at war with myself. I have a lot of experience that tells me how things should be done, regardless of what a new skill requires. And then there is the famous learning curve, and my brain just isn't as plastic as it once was. Stay tuned for updates; I'm sure it's only going to get worse.
I had a real difficult time getting up and going yesterday. I needed to do some cleaning for Katherine's visit. I mopped the kitchen floor. I called Tim, and he said he wouldn't be coming over in the afternoon. Ron ate my leftover good (twice in two days!), so I was left to forage for lunch. It wasn't pretty.
With Tim not coming over, I had plenty of time for a bike ride. I did about 10 miles. Yesterday was gorgeous bike weather - not too hot and a beautiful blue sky. I stopped off at Silver Cycles to inquire about a spring checkup. The mechanic (Josh) checked out my bike, replaced the derailleur cable, and my little toy is now snappy and responsive again. I love that bike!
Tim came over around 6 p.m. for dinner and dancing. We went to Mi La Cay, basically a soup and noodle place. I love the food. I was not disappointed last night with a pork broth soup full of sliced barbecued pork, shrimp, shrimp cracker, egg noodles, fish balls, squid. I didn't realize quite what I was ordering, but that's okay at this restaurant, because everything tastes good, well almost. Tim ordered a durian-flavored bubble tea, and I don't like the taste or smell of putrified fruit.
Tim and I went to the Galaxy Stars dance. I wore my t-shirt that shows a cartoon from the New Yorker with the caption, "Gays and lesbians betting married - haven't they suffered enough?" The shirt seems appropriate for the current marriage debate in Maryland. Most of the square dancers were quite amused by it.
On the way home, Tim and I talked at some length about my place in the LDS church. I'm afraid that I'll drift away from my friends. I'm afraid they'll get bored with me. I talked with Kathy at the dance about going back. She's a Unitarian, and very active in her congregation in Columbia. She has a somewhat cynical take on the Mormons, and I can't say as I blame her. But really, world, I'm not infiltrating the LDS church. I have no doctrine to preach. I hope I have the moral strength to say what is in my heart and mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment